Friday, December 15, 2006

You’ve got to have faith

I took a call from a friend (L) I have not seen in over four years whom I however, speak to several times a year. We went through the obligatory pleasantry of “how have you been”, etc.

While on the phone with L my pump vibrates reminding me to check my blood sugar level, it has already been two hours since my last bolus. I naturally held the phone between my ear and should, pulled out my monitor and without missing a beat, pricked my finger. A squeeze and a little bright red dot settle on the side of my finger. I touch the tip of the strip that I had inserted into my meter, which is now begging for a drink, on the red dot and watch as the dot disappears. I licked the remaining evidence off my finger, within five short second the meter beeps at me; I glanced at the number 5.1mmol (92) and smiled.


“What was that beeping?” L asked? “My blood glucose meter” I responding and went back to talking about my recent NYC trip. Adjoa! L interrupted “Do you still have diabetes?” “Waiting for the cure,” I replied.

My Friend proceeded in telling me that there is already a cure, his mane is Jesus and that I need to find a good bible believing church to become a member of.
He goes on -------->

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” he mumbled adding “the bible says by his strips you are healed” “diabetes, like any illness is just a spirit that needs to be cast out”

“With a little faith, even one as small as a mustard seed, you will be healed”

That was when I told my friend I needed to go.

I really did not have a comeback nor do I know how to respond to something like this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that's horrible! There are plenty of Christians with type 1 still waiting for a cure. Healings are extremely rare and God gave us medicine to use.

I remember asking God to cure my depression. Instead, He led me to medication to control it. Diabetes is no different.

Pearlsa said...

Thanks Lady Atkins