Thursday, December 14, 2006

One World One Hope – Unite for diabetes


I try to work hard on my health knowing that I am lucky. I am also very thankful for the advancements in medical and technology that aid me stay alive and healthy with type 1 diabetes.

Insulin is not a cure, however insulin keeps us alive and healthy. Without insulin, diabetes is a death sentence.

Diabetes is a pain to manage, its like a cruel joke that does not end, a forced marriage that did not take what you want or need into consideration, and a spouse who takes “till death do us part” very seriously. However I am still very lucky, because available to me are all these wonderful tools that enable me to cope.

The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) knows that not all of us are as lucky, and that diabetes kills more people than it is necessary. A United Nations Resolution on Diabetes has been drafted, when passed will be the first time ever for a non-communicable disease. This will also mandate Governments around the world to establish national policies on the treatment, prevention and care of diabetes within the sustainable development of each Government’s healthcare system.


Go sign and write a message of support for this resolution unite for diabetes

For many people and in many parts of the world a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes is still a death sentence today.

No comments: