Wednesday, December 13, 2006

O! I really want to get back to ...............

I stopped by my favourite café Caffe Artigiano for a personal Mocha treat, the science of bolusing for said Mocha was perfected during my four-day pump training. I stepped up to the cash register paid, moved to the designated wait area and communicated my bolus to my beloved pump “Pumcy”


Barista guy recognised my personal mug and draw a heart into my Mocha, we exchanged good mornings, have a great day and hope to see you again tomorrow. I took a sip placed the lid of the mug securely on and made my way back to my car.


Ø Mug placed in the cup holder
Ø Wallet returned to it rightful place in my bag
Ø Seatbelt fastened
Ø Hands free earpiece comfortable positioned
Ø Ignition turned on
Ø Turn signal engaged

I had a quite and pleasant drive into work while outlining all I have to accomplish today and came up with the perfect strategy on just how to get it all done. Got to my desk and got right into my work, a friend on the east coast sends me a usual morning email and I quickly reply getting back on schedule. My phone rings, I notice I am a little angry at the unwelcome interruption. On the other end was my friend ----

Friend “Adjoa! Are you OK?”
Me “Yes, just a little busy, can we talk later”
Friend “Sure, but are you sure you’re alright?
Me (angry) “Yes, we will talk later, bye”

I got back to work, angrier than ever, now I am not going to get everything accomplished. “Pumcy” vibrates, reminding me to check my blood sugar, a reminder that I have not done much in the last 1hr30mins. What follows is like second nature now, I licked my finger and my meter said 3.1 (55).

My brain says - needs sugar fast, I grab four glucose tabs and start chewing. I reached for my mug and it is still full, I wash the glucose tabs down with my Mocha. As I slowly get back to live and to reality.

No comments: