Tuesday, January 30, 2007

RIDING ON A ROLLERCOASTER {Blood Glucose Kind}

My first rollercoaster ride was during the summer of 1999; I was an adult and felt like a kid at an amusement park. I woke up early that morning with great anticipation of our fun filled day the drive from Montgomery Village to Paramount's Kings Dominion seemed like it took forever. I could not wait to go on the famed Anaconda, We rushed to wait our turn to be wrapped in coils of this awesome coaster and prepared for the 144-foot drop into the depths of the Anaconda. The ride was awful especially during the 144-foot drop as I held my breath depriving my brain of oxygen while I waited to land. I vowed never to ride another rollercoaster again; I never wanted to feel like I did ever again if I can help it.


On my way home from work this evening I felt my blood glucose going low, I had tested well within range before leaving work 15mins earlier driving west on highway one and not wanting to leave anything to chance I popped four glucose tabs into my mouth and drove on home. I got out of the car and felt I was not totally in control of my lower limbs I made my way into the apartment, I am the first one home and tested at 1.8mmol/l (32). I drunk a glass of milk my heart races, panic sets in I feel as if I am free falling and fast. I ate a tangerine, then a slice of my sister’s homemade dried mango loaf – Yum – I pour a cup of frozen sweet yellow corn, sprinkle some salt on it, into the microwave to nuke. While waiting for the corn I ate another slice of the yummy loaf, I still was not feelong like me yet. I ate the corn my sister comes home she asked if I was OK to which I say yes, I ate a cup of pasta then finishes it off with a piece of ricotta cheesecake. My sister asked once again if I was OK, I answer – yes!


I am now visited by the after low blood glucose headache and feeling so out of control as if I just rode the Anaconda. In disparate need for control and normalcy, I change into my running gear for our evening run. I start out OK however, my calf and thigh muscle burns making known they need insulin, I trace the outline of my meter with my fingers feeling it inside the Pump Pak that was housing it along with my pump. I was afraid of the number that would come up, I slowed to a jog then finally walked my evening run. I took a shower knowing that I have now rode the rollercoaster to the higher point but afraid to test my blood glucose, afraid to open my eyes to see just how far up on the rollercoaster I was now sitting. I dug Rufus, my Bear with Diabetes out of his hiding place.


I do not feel like being an analyst tonight trying to figure out what happened I do not once again want to learn that ratio’s and math formulas, work only when there is logic and with diabetes there is no logic. I just want to be………………………………………………

6 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Rollercoaster rides are no fun. Either of them (amusement park OR blood sugar)!

Bernard said...

What I'm looking forward to is a pump that gives me good advice about the amount of carbs to eat based on my blood glucose reading and the amount of insulin on board at the time.

Otherwise every low I have is likely to be followed by a big rebound because of the extreme hunger that you describe so well.

Chrissie in Belgium said...

The roller coaster rides are SO terrible. Normal coke with suger has a really high GI index. This means that if you drink it for a hypo your bg will go up really quickly and you will not be so starving. This will make it easier to not overeat. Coke has a higher GI index than even orange juice, so I stick to coke. Maybe it will help you like it has helped me.

Pearlsa said...

Thanks for the coments. I will try the coke and sugar mix next time. It will be great to have a pump that will give that sort of advice even better if it takes your personal carb sensitivity into account

Anonymous said...

The rollercoaster feeling is the worst. I'm glad you made it through, and hope tomorrow is better :)

Heidi said...

I second all you and all the other commenters that roller coaster rides are terrible!

I do understand your panicky eating with such a reading, though. I hate those below 2.0-readings - I certainly have had my fair share of those, especially since going on the pump 8 months ago. With such a low reading you just want your BG to rise quickly to get away, and not least stay away, from that looming abyss where you loose control of your actions.

I hope that roller coaster ride didn't last too long!