Thursday, February 1, 2007

Extended & Combination bolus – An awesome power in the palm of my hand.

It is no secret how much I am in love with my insulin pump “Pumcy”, it is constantly attached to me infusing live sustaining insulin it makes managing my diabetes a little less annoying. It is often Pumcy, Adjoa and the city.
At this time of the year - there is a chill in the air and restaurants go through a post-Christmas drought not only because we are all trying so hard to hang on to our weight loss new years resolutions but the Christmas season has also left a dent in our wallets. In an effort to cure restaurant hibernation Vancouver tourism board and Visa presents the city with the most affordable way to experience the city on a plate, participating stylist and swanky restaurants offer a supreme three course dinner at inexpensive fixed price of $15, $25 or $35 per person. This event is also a way to feature British Columbia’s wines top restaurants are usually completely booked mere hours after they start accepting reservations.
Last Saturday our dine out Vancouver was experienced at Griffins one of the restaurants located at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Griffins is the “causal” of the hotel’s restaurants and was offering a three course dinner at $25.00 per person. My carefully selected menu included Griffins’ Green Salad followed by a Squash and Ricotta Canneloni and for dessert a selection from their decadent dessert buffet featuring dozens of freshly baked desserts. My before diner blood glucose reading was 5.6, I used the combination bolus that featured a standard meal bolus with an extended bolus. 40% of my bolus was given upfront with the rest (60%) delivered extendedly for over a two hour period. An hour into dinning and my blood glucose rang in at 5.8, two hours later I a sat at 5.6. Curiously, I tested again at the three-hour mark 5.6 and 5.8 at the four-hour mark.

My pocket pancreas handled the outing with grace covering a meal that consisted of both rapidly and slowly absorbed carbohydrates as well as all the protein and fat. I believe severing size helped too – What you did not think they were going to exceed the real “standard” serving size on three courses for $25.00.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Those are awesome readings for a dining out. Congratulations to you and Pumcy for achieving those!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Way to go!

Those types of things are often the hardest to carb count correctly!

Add to that the fact that you have a ton of variables playing games with the absorption timing and it gets really hard!

A job VERY well done!