Thursday, December 28, 2006

Running with Pump

Over the past six years I have been running, I learnt how to run on multiply daily insulin injections and never tested blood sugar during runs even on 10k runs. I only test before plus after, on NPH it was a hit or miss however, Lantus as well as Levimer was God sent. They handled running better I always carried glucose tabs with me - certainly not a meter as I did not want to carry medical supplies with me on my runs, lows were treated by the way I felt - Not a good thing to do, nevertheless I did this for years.

Now on my insulin pump, I am learning how to run again only this time I have been running with a meter and checking my blood glucose during my runs. This has been an eye opener for me as I find that my blood sugar rises within the first 30 - 45min of running and sometimes it rises rapidly as well as higher than I would like to see it go. I can start out at 5.2mmol/l (94mg/l) and clock in at 12mmol/l (216mg/l) 30-45min later this is with my normal basal pumping. I have played with giving myself a small - I am terrified of lows, so very tiny, bolus before the start of my run and that seems to combat the rise some, however I lack the courage to increase the amount of bolus cause I am terrified of a big drop hours after my run.


I am getting a little frustrated; I do not want to burn calories just to ingest it again to treat a low. Walking lowers my blood sugar gradually but I do not have enough hours in a day to walk the distance needed for as good a workout as running. Doing the stairs in my 12-floor building has the same effect on my blood sugar as running, I would like to loose some weight in 2007 with exercise but right now it looks like running high blood sugar for a few months to lose weight might be easier if not even pleasurable -- think all the food I can eat (Ok that was the devil talking) and who want to flirt with complications anyway.
I am thinking about maybe increasing my bolus, then running a temp basal for a few hours after my run I am not sure that will work. I also know that what works for one person may not work for me I however wish for a hint on what has worked for others.
I really want to be the boss of my blood sugar if that is ever possible.

Suggestions…………………………….?

4 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hey Adjoa!

Big ups on the running!

I have a couple things to share with you. I have a funny story about a 10k race that I "ran":

My Race Walking Experience

And then a link to Sarah's blog. She has posted a few great informative posts about her running. It may be some time back, so you might have to dig through some of her older stuff:

The Nefariouspoo of Sarah (diabetic musings)

Hopefully you'll find something helpful in there.

Pearlsa said...

Hi Scott,

Your race waling experience is very funny. Thanks for the link to Sarah's blog.

Bernard said...

Hi Adjoa

I can't give you suggestions on running, but I used to play long games of racketball. I found that initially my blood sugar fell, sometimes very far and very fast.

Then I started to reduce my basal rates about 60-90 minutes beforehand. That helped a great deal. Then I had to deal with a rise after the game was done.

I have not yet found a really useful source on pumping and exercise. What I now find is best for me is to start out with little bolus insulin remaining, and a high blood sugar (around 200), then test every 20 minutes or so and then bolus after the exercise to ensure I don't see a post-exercise high.

Best of luck.

Pearlsa said...

Thanks Bernard