Friday, December 22, 2006

Diabetes - it’s with you always

I arrived at work yesterday to find our power out the generator had kicked in however we needed that juice to run the data center to keep all the other employees around the world working. After a couple of idle hours and electricians with blank look on their faces, we were asked to go home.

I decided to take the opportunity to start my Christmas shopping being that there is only three days to Christmas I headed to Metropolis at Metrotown. A one stop shopping Mecca, with close to 500 stores, this is the perfect place to find the perfect gifts.
Christmas cheers that have eluded me so far this year enveloped me as I walked into the mall. It was packed with people some happy and cheerful and some looked stressed, people carrying bags upon bags of stuff. I methodically went form one favourite store to another picking up presents and then headed to the gift-wrapping station to drop them off. I was filled with excitement and could picture facial expressions when those gifts are opened. I continued with my shopping, I felt a little hungry but ignored both the hunger and the fact that this could very well be a warning sign my body was trying to give me.
I was headed back to the wrapping station when I saw the food court sign, my brain translated the sign to “check blood glucose” a light bulb went off in my head. I have been walking probably for miles in this huge mall - oops I am diabetic I did not make arrangement for all this walking I did not reduce my basal insulin nor did I eat extra carbohydrates. Just as fast as I had been bath with the seasons cheers it was gone again as I stopped tested and treated the low.
Days like this I think I really need a CGMS.

No comments: