Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Great Products too Late!

I am a fun of Roche’s Accu-Chek product line I do not have the Accu-Chek Spirit Pump I choose the Animas over it for personal reasons - best left for another post.
The old Accu-Chek Complete, some people may remember it in the late nineties, it was huge big and it took 26 seconds to produce a test result, Oh and the big blob of blood it took.


However, although it would not have won any design awards it was one of the best made truly complete meters of its generation in my humble opinion. It was the first meter to have inbuilt diabetes management software, stored and analyzed up to 1000 values, plus you could add information on insulin, activities, meals etc. The first of its kind on the market I believe it did not succeed because of its lack of appeal or let’s say design.


Accu-Chek seems to be missing its mark lately, don’t get me wrong, they still make great products and management software nevertheless, these products get into the hands of the consumers (me) a little too late. Point in case I have been waiting for their not so new to Europe – Accu-Chek Smart Pix for some time now unfortunately for Accu-Chek I have since upgraded to vista and it will be out in North America late May appearing to not be vista compatible.

The Accu-Chek Smart Pix is a Device Reader is a small, but smart device which imports and displays data from Accu-Chek blood glucose meters, Accu-Chek software for handhelds, and Accu-Chek insulin pumps, via a built-in infrared interface. A plug’n play functionality that connects to you PC via USB, most importantly data can be seen and manipulated in HTML, XML, BMP, PNG etc.

Here is to hoping it becomes vista compatible before I move on to a newest Operating system.



No comments: