Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Diabetes kills



I often feel there is an unspoken, don’t ask don’t tell policy when it come to Diabetes and West Africans. When this unspoken policy is not being enforced the attitude of most is that this is not a serious disease, this is the reason why I think the UN resolution on diabetes (Unite for Diabetes) is valuable.

Last week almost all the major West African news papers carried a variation of the same headline about “A Presidential Candidate in coma after suffering from diabetes” Alliance for Democracy a political party in Nigerians’ candidate was said to be in diabetic coma merely days, almost a month to the April 28th presidential elections. Adebayo Adefarati, the Presidential Candidate passed due to complications to diabetes (May his soul rest in peace)
What makes this even strange is the fact that in January I read in disbelieve that the current president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo, in a speech dispel rumours that the Presidential Candidate, Alhaji Umar Yar’Adua, from his own party, Peoples Democratic Party was always sick and a diabetic, said that -

“He was sick in 2001 and has since been miraculously healed”

I did not bother to read feather, I was no longer interested in whatever he had to say about diabetes.

I was talking to my mother and sister about how an intelligent, educated and a person who obviously has money will neglect his diabetes (I am not sure what type he had) into a coma. My sister who had not read the January story replied -

“Maybe some miraculous pastor prayed for him”

No comments: