Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Doctor’s Appointment

I had an endocrinologist appointment yesterday and it was successful my A1C is 6.2 a step in the right direction. Earlier in my diabetic life, I did very little however I was able to maintain a A1C’s in the 5’s, back then managing diabetes was easy. Although I understood the frustrations, others talked about I thought they were making a big deal about the annoyance that diabetes is.


My doctor back then told me I was her “star” patient and wished all her patients would be just like me. I rather she had prepared me by letting me know it was not always going to be easy. When the honeymoon ended, reality took over and I did not understand why I had to work hard for the same blood glucose control. I felt like a failure, my perfect reflection was shattered or there was something seriously wrong with my mirror, control did not come as easy. I went into denial not testing or caring, after all, I will have to test in other to see a high number and I will have to see a high number in other to worry.

I am grateful I pulled through believing taking control is my only option. Yesterday I left the doctor’s office with an appointment to return in six months and slips to test A1C every two months a copy of the results, will be mailed to me and if needed, or if the A1C results dictate I can request an emergency appointment. Dr B and I also went over my strategy for running with a pump, he did agree with me that I needed a pre-run bolus and we set some guidelines for managing post-run lows. Thanks to Kevin (parenthetic (diabetic)) I had detailed beautiful records I shared with Dr B.

3 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

That is an excellent A1C, and I applaud your hard work and dedication you display.

It is a tough thing dealing with what we deal with. No small job, that's for sure.

Kevin said...

Sorry for the late reply.

Like Scott said, that is an impressive A1c reading. I'd kill for a reading like that! Keep up the good work and good luck with the running/bolus/blood sugar experiments.

I'm very happy that the logbook has been helpful!

Anonymous said...

Diabetics should always keep a sterile finger lancet, test strips, and alcohol pads near them for emergency testing of their blood sugar. Alot of the new products out on the market make life easier and less nerve-racking when managing diabetes supply on a daily basis. Diabetics should always have on hand necessary medical supplies for their well-being and back-up supplies in the car and at work.

Diabetes Supply