Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Conned About Cholesterol?

I have had a few doctors raised an eyebrow as to how low my cholesterol levels are at times, their reactions use to bug me and I have often asked if it will be helpful to throw in a few egg yolks a day to try and bring it up a bit. I have wondered if having low cholesterol is bad for me but no doctor has been able or has been willing to answer my question. This was all years before the cholesterol commercials overtook the airways. You know - the distinguish older guy or beautiful skinny woman getting out of a swimming pool with 0% body fat and fit only to fall because of high cholesterol levels. I often think since I did not inherit normal cholesterol levels from Uncle Fred maybe I should try normalizing it with some Fettuccine Alfredo but that rigged havoc on my blood glucose reading.
My personal favourite was how they worked it into TV shows; I still remember an episode of Boston Public were a heavy set teacher, Marla Hendricks, played by Loretta Devine felt she was being discriminated against because of her size. Only for the skinny teacher, Marilyn Sudor, played by Sharon Leal to disclose to her that it is her own insecurities that are pushing her to behave in that manner. Because she has high cholesterol, for which she is taking medication. I am not quite sure if she mentions the name of the medication.
Wow sounds like all I do is watch TV -- hmmmmmmmmmmmm… But apparently I do read too even if it is on a TV like screen so, imagine my intrigued when I saw this -Have we been conned about cholesterol?
Conventional medical wisdom about cholesterol — and the role of statins — is now being challenged by a small, but growing number of health professionals. Among them is Dr Malcolm Kendrick. A GP for 25 years, he has also worked with the European Society of Cardiology, and writes for leading medical magazines.
When it comes to heart disease, we have been sold a pup. A rather large pup. Actually, it's more of a full-grown blue whale. We've all been conned.
Say What? I do not know what to make of this article I am so confused this will teach me to be a little more skeptical.

No comments: