Thursday, January 11, 2007

Living in a Winter Wonderland

The storm that hit Pacific Northwest yesterday made for some bad driving conditions both on the way home yester evening and getting out the following morning. Even scarier were the crazy drivers that believe just because they are driving an SUV they can speed during a snowstorm. A woman driving a red SUV was lucky to get out of her car injury free, she lost control hit a guardrail and flipped over. Commonsense will dictate that you loss traction at higher speeds regardless of what it is that you are driving and slowing down will be second nature in wintry conditions. These kinds of drivers make it even more hazardous to drive in such conditions.

I have never disclosed that fact that I have type 1 diabetes to the driver-licensing department. I do not wish to be subjected to what I believe is an unnecessary yearly medical just for the privilege to drive. I diligently ensure my blood glucose is in and stays within the save to drive zone when I get behind the wheel to drive however, when driving conditions are bad I worry. I feel I am doing something wrong by not answering the health question but I do truly believe that I am healthy also; I believe I am a safer driver than an alcoholic that is also an illness. They are not required to report their illness nor are they subjected to yearly medical checks as a requirement for the privilege to drive.

Anyhow, it a beautiful day today, our first full day of sunshine since sometime in November.


I am currently living in a winter wonderland, there is fluffy snow everywhere and most importantly, the sun is out and brightly shinning. There is not a cloud in the sky the combination of afternoon sun and snowy white is giving of an illusion of a brighter than bright day with temperatures staying below –1C the air seems fresher and crisp. I look out my window occasionally, which fills me with memories of winter holidays at Gstaad and the fun days of learning to fall while attached to skis while toddlers flow by as though they were born with skis attached to their little feet.

I think I do not hate winter or the snow I just hate the lack of sunshine that accompanies winters making distinguishing day from night difficult.

3 comments:

mel said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by and "de-lurking." :) Do you mind if I add a link on my blogroll?

Mel

Kevin said...

Oh how I long for a snow storm.

The Nation's Capital (you used to live here, no?) has been all but balmy up until this week. And then the forecast is calling for 40 degrees and raining this weekend, i.e., the WORST weather imaginable. I would SO much prefer colder and snow. A cold rain just hurts your bones.

And regarding snow, velocity, and SUVs: it's frightening how uncommon commonsense is.

Pearlsa said...

Kevin,
Yes, I hear the cherry blossoms are confused this year with all the nice weather in the Capital a cold front will be great in keeping the blossoms at bay for a little while but I do not envy the clod rain at all. I was in the DC metro area during Thanksgiving the weather was unbelievably great.
Mel,
Thank you for stopping by and adding me to your blogroll.